COMMUNITIES IN SCHOOLS OF MID-AMERICA
At Communities In Schools of Mid-America we do whatever it takes to help students overcome barriers to school success caused by low-income, poverty or other risk factors. We approach this challenge with a focus on teamwork and collaboration built on the strengths of our dedicated staff members. If you would like to know more about being part of the CIS of Mid-America team, take a look at our current career opportunities below or contact us.
1st OPEN POSITION:
senior accountant - Lawrence, KS
Reporting to the Chief Administrative Officer and directed by executive staff as appropriate, this position is responsible to enhance, and help establish, the internal financial processes and functions of Communities In Schools of Mid-America, Inc. The Sr. Accountant is responsible to help implement the vision and goals of Communities In Schools of Mid-America as articulated by the President and CEO.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
(G) Financial Management and Oversight
• Manage all accounting operations including Billing, A/R, A/P, GL and Counsel, Inventory Accounting and Revenue Recognition
• Coordinate the preparation of regulatory reporting
• Research technical accounting issues for compliance
• Assist in the development and documentation of business processes and accounting policies to maintain and strengthen internal controls
• Maintain Intacct Accounting System to ensure the proper, complete, and accurate record-keeping of accounting company transactions are performed within the Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
• Payroll and benefit processing and coordination in conjunction with Human Resources.
• Analyze and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner; clearly communicate monthly and annual financial statements; collate financial reporting materials for all donor segments, and oversee all financial, project/program and grants accounting.
• Coordinate and assist in the annual audit process, liaise with external auditors, and assess any changes necessary.
• Prepare annual budgeting and planning process in conjunction with the CAO; administer and review all financial plans and budgets; monitor progress and changes.
• Manage organizational cash flow and forecasting.
• Implement a robust contracts management and financial management/ reporting system; ensure that the contract billing and collection schedule is adhered to and that financial data and cash flow are steady and support operational requirements.
• Provide accurate and timely reporting on the financial activity of individual funds.
• Help manage the agency’s banking and investment services and reconciliations.
• Responsible for the agency’s check writing, distribution and reconciliation.
• Process and submit statutory, tax, payroll, fiduciary, grant (financial) remittances/reports on time
• Manage and supervise accounting support staff.
• Ensure accurate and timely tax reporting, state and federal resporting to applicable entities.
• Maintains a variety of manual and electronic fiscal information, files and records (e.g. accounts payable, accounts receivable, student activities, contracts, etc.) for the purpose of providing an up-to-date reference and audit trail.
(G) Other Position Functions
Manages the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of any accounting staff. Responsibilities include planning, assigning, directing work, rewarding, disciplining employees, performance reviews, and addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Participate in organizational efforts such as CIS of Mid-America at the Capital
Other duties as assigned by President and CEO
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Previous supervisory experience. Experience in finance, accounting, payroll and administrative functions for non-profit organizations. Experience with fund accounting is a must. Ability to establish and maintain working relationships with personnel and the public. Excellent communication skills both verbal and written.
1. At least four years of hands on accounting experience.
2. Ability to work independently while managing multiple priorities.
3. Excellent knowledge and experience of accounting systems and other computer applications such as word processing, Excel, electronic data tracking, internet, web sites, etc.
Bachelor’s Degree in finance, accounting, business administration or related field required. Master's Degree and CPA certification preferred.
Work Environment Office, School Sites, Community
Lifting Requirement 25 pounds
Travel Requirements Occasional travel, including conferences, meetings, travel between school sites, etc.
Other Requirements Valid driver’s license
Pass various background checks
The physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
OTHER POSITION INFORMATION:
Direct Budget – No
Indirect Budget – Yes
Major System (MIS) or Process Responsibility:
Intacct, Paychex or other applicable Accounting Software
Other databases and software used by office or national organization applicable to position
As a staff member of Communities In Schools of Mid-America, Inc. you are a mandated reporter of child abuse and neglect as outlined in the employee handbook. Failure to properly report to the appropriate child welfare authority and your supervisor can result in disciplinary actions up to and including termination. See Mandated Reporter Policy in the Employee Personnel Manual for specific details.
The duties and responsibilities of this position are subject to change without prior notice.
To submit an application:
Please submit a cover letter, resume and three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applicants will be required to pass state and NSOPR background checks prior to hiring. Communities In Schools of Mid-America, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Functional Classification Summary
(G) General and Management – 100%
Salary: mid-$60K's + benefits.
CIS of Mid-America is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
For complete Senior Accountant job description, CLICK HERE.
Applicants must submit a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references to email@example.com by September 20, 2018.
2ND OPEN POSITION:
Affiliate Development Specialist - Lawrence, KS
Communities In Schools of Mid-America (CIS of Mid-America) is seeking an AmeriCorps VISTA member to serve as Affiliate Development Specialist for the CIS of Mid-America State Office. The VISTA member will be responsible for the growth and enhancement of state office core program development, alternative services program development, and resource development efforts through fund identification and departmental capacity building in order to expand quality services to students within the CIS of Mid-America network. Activities would include: research, design, and implementation of projects in CIS of Mid-America core programming that will benefit the entire affiliate; collaboration with resource development in identifying funding sources and grant writing, enriching donor programs, providing checks and balances in organizational marketing, and data clean-up; creating engagement opportunities in alternative services, researching and evaluating alternative community-based programs, and expand new strategies focused on alumni engagement. The VISTA member would serve from the CIS of Mid-America State Office in Lawrence, KS and would work with the entire CIS of Mid-America network (Northeast, Central, Mid, Southwest, and Southeast, KS as well as Kansas City, MO, Tulsa, OK, and Iowa).
3RD OPEN POSITION:
Site Coordinator, Marysville Junior/Senior High School - Marysville, KS
Communities In Schools of Mid-America (CIS of Mid-America) seeks a Site Coordinator for Marysville Jr/Sr High School, located in Marysville, KS. CIS Site Coordinators are based inside schools to connect students and families to basic and critical educational and community-based resources. The Coordinator implements programs and services based upon the specific needs of individual youth and the whole school to help students succeed.
Bachelor's Degree and demonostrated relevant equivalent experience in social work, education, or related field in required.
Master's Degree (MSW or similar) is preferred.
Salary: mid-$30k's + benefits.
CIS of Mid-America is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
For complete Site Coordinator job description, CLICK HERE.
Applicants must submit a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org by September 14, 2018.
No open positions at this time
No Open Positions at this time
OPERATIONS Coordinator - Kansas City, MO
Communities In Schools of Mid-America (CIS of Mid-America) is seeking an AmeriCorps VISTA member to serve as Operations Coordinator for Kansas City, Missouri The VISTA member will be responsible for developing systems for resource development, community awareness and engagement, and program development in order to expand quality services to students within the CIS of Mid-America network. Activities would include: research, creating site/community profiles detailing resource gaps, cultivating of local donors, representing the affiliate at relevant community events and meetings, pursuing local community provider/volunteer source partnerships for events, and evaluating current program development and implementation. The VISTA member would serve from the CIS of Mid-America Kansas City, Missouri area office in Kansas City, MO and work throughout the Kansas City Metro region.